Meet Carey Business School’s 2024 commencement student speakers

Each year, the Carey community nominates students to speak at commencement. Meet the two Carey students who will deliver remarks to their fellow classmates on May 21.

two separate photos of two students with chevron design connecting the photos in the middle

Johns Hopkins Carey Business School will celebrate spring graduation on Tuesday, May 21, 2024. This year, attendees of the two ceremonies will hear from student speakers Anny Johanna Gonzalez Polanco (MBA ’24) and Vivian Wu (BARM ’24). Both Gonzalez and Wu were nominated by members of the Carey community.

Meet Anny Johanna Gonzalez Polanco, MBA

Anny Johanna Gonzalez Polanco is a STEM MBA student specializing in Analytics, Innovation, and Leadership. Throughout her time at Carey, Gonzalez has been an active member of the community, participating in various experiential learning opportunities such as the Big Data Consulting Project, Innovation Field Project, and Leadership Development Expeditions. She also participated in multiple case competitions including the annual KeyBank Case Competition; the JHU Graduate Consulting Case Competition, where her team won first place; and the Samsung Marketing Case Competition, where she again won first place. She is also co-president and a founding member of the Latinx/Hispanic Graduate Student Association, has worked as a graduate assistant for departments around Carey such as Global Marketing and Communications and Student Affairs, and joined the student work group to help draft Carey’s DEIB roadmap.

“The impact of an MBA doesn’t come after the program; you can see it while you’re in it. Applying the skills and taking advantage of the opportunities offered have helped me during my time in the program–and they are intertwined. I’ve used the skills to help connect and communicate better with employers and industry experts. It’s made a big impact.”

After graduation, Gonzalez plans to pursue a career in product marketing or partnership development in the software technology industry. While Gonzalez continues to search for roles that align with her career goals, she plans to pause the search while she confirms a summer internship with Qualcomm in San Diego–an offer she received from winning the Samsung Marketing Case Competition.

“My MBA experience was way more than I expected. I am not the same person I was when I got to Baltimore. I can feel the change and how much I’ve learned in my personal and professional development. You don’t get to do an MBA twice, so enjoy the ride and be intentional about everything you do at Carey.”

Meet Vivian Wu, MS in Business Analytics and Risk Management

Vivian Wu is a Master of Science student pursuing a Business Analytics and Risk Management degree. While studying in Washington, D.C., Wu has taken advantage of the various resources Carey–and the city of Washington, D.C.–offers including Career & Life Design, networking opportunities, career fairs, Carey’s “Industry Insiders” series, and more. These resources have opened doors to mentorship and career opportunities that Wu says will stay with her for years to come.

“The diversity within the new Johns Hopkins Bloomberg Center in Washington, D.C. has enriched our discussions, bringing unique experiences, cultural heritage, and perspectives into every interaction I’ve had. Being part of Carey, I’ve found mentors through the extensive Johns Hopkins alumni network, and many of the initial conversations have evolved into lasting mentorships where I can reach out with questions and find support for my growth.”

After graduation, Wu will be moving back to Los Angeles, CA to reunite with family. She has multiple job offers for post-graduation, and is in the process of determining the best path for her career. Her passion lies within the tech industry–specifically the commercialization aspect of technology companies.

“The BARM curriculum is packed with practical tools, widely used methodologies, and concepts that are directly applicable in the workplace. Armed with the knowledge and skills I’ve acquired at Carey, I’m confident in my ability to carve out a successful career path and thrive in the technology sector.”

Upcoming Carey application deadlines

The Fall 2025 Full-time MBA application is now open. Applications for all other Fall 2025 programs will open this fall. Please visit our upcoming deadlines webpage to view all application, decision, and deposit deadlines.